Monday, February 7, 2011

A Daily Sacrifice

By: Becky Chen, former Doulos member (Class of 2005)

Read: Psalm 51: 16-17

This was a Psalm proclaimed by David after he had committed adultery with Bathsheba and was confronted by the prophet Nathan. I thought David's reaction to God was interesting after having committed such a great sin.

Often times in my own life, when I do something wrong, I want to immediately correct it. This applies to school work, spelling errors, even in relationships with family or friends. I don't know about you, but I'm a "doer" and I find that I always need something to do to feel better about situations I can't control.

From David's perspective, he obviously realizes there is nothing in his power (no donkey, chicken or cow) he can offer up to God that can please Him. However, David knows that God is only pleased by his broken spirit and contrite (repentant or remorseful) heart.

This is something I always need reminding of. Our God is not about empty sacrifices, but of sacrificing our will for the sake of His. When we are broken in spirit and come to Him with a repenting heart, it's an attitude of humility and acknowledging that God is able.

Hopefully this is an encouragement to you all. Let us come before our God daily sacrificing to him a broken spirit and contrite heart; always confessing that we are in need of Him in every hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment