Thursday, February 24, 2011

The Art of Rebuking

By: Priscilla Liu, former Doulos member (Class of 2010)

Read: 2 Timothy 4:1-2

While I was in youth group, I was (in)famous for three major things: invading people’s personal space, being super touchy all the time and being the one always cracking down on people to make sure they were getting work done. If you need a clearer idea, go to . Some underclassmen made a video about it this past summer for Senior Celebration. Even though people love to make fun of me because of it, at the moment, it was not that pleasant...for me or for the people I was trying to keep “in line.”

When I called people out on wasting time, not being productive and not taking initiative to do their jobs, I knew that I was doing what was necessary to make sure Youth Group events were planned and logistics were figured out. But most of the time, I was not communicating it in a way that was encouraging and loving toward my brothers and sisters in Christ. In these verses, Paul calls Timothy to “correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction,” something I started to learn after Pastor Ben continually encouraged me to continue rebuking (because it is valuable and needed in the church) but in love. He always emphasized the last two words because that is the most important part.

In the years I was in youth group, Pastor Ben has shown me what it looks like to minister, encourage, teach, have fun and discipline in love. His gentleness and patience toward everyone in the youth group through all circumstances has been a phenomenal example for me, and I hope that it will continue to impact the youth group and leadership even after he leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment