Wednesday, June 30, 2010

“Seat Check” Gut Check

Imagine with me for a second…think of the last time you were at a party. You were probably sitting in a chair watching people beat each other up on super smash bros, watching a movie, or simply just chilling. Anyway, point is, you have a chair and your friend, who happens to be standing just beside that wonderfully comfortable chair you’re sitting in, does not. Yet, all of a sudden, you feel the urge to get up and say…go to the bathroom, or get a drink, or go welcome that awesome new person that you just met last week (SAWEET). So (poor, innocent) you decide to get up and do your thing (whichever of the above choices you chose to pursue). Unfortunately, as you turn around to return to your oh-so-very-comfortable seat, you discover (to your horror) that your friend (*cough*) has already placed their backside in juxtaposition with what used to be considered “your” chair. Not anymore though. You know why your friend decided that s/he was justified in stealing, yes stealing, “your” seat? Cuz you didn’t declare to the world the simple phrase: SEAT CHECK.
Before I came to the United States of America, I had never in my life heard of the phrase “seat check.” So imagine my surprise when I had my first seat jacked from me when I neglected to pronounce these two simple words. Oh yes, it was a simply delightful experience. NOT. For me, it felt like some sort of violation against…my morals or something; it simply did not seem right to me in any way. Like seriously, if you’re going to jack my seat just take it and don’t give me the lame excuse that “you forgot to call seat check (so that justifies me taking the seat you were just occupying and intending on returning to).” Quit your jibber jabber, man up, and steal my seat; but don’t try to justify it by making it a game. Like c’mon, really?
While I understand that the seat is not actually MINE, I did get there first and it’s simply one of those unspoken moral codes: that when a person gets to a seat first, you respect their “right” to sit in the seat until they choose to get out of the seat and begin a completely different activity not involving the seat. Okay, before people start grumbling about how this is open to interpretation and this is purely my opinion and shouldn’t be a devotional, I would like to bring to light the passage found in Mark 12:31: “The second [greatest commandment] is this: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no commandment greater than these."” In case you’re wondering what in the world this has to do with anything I’ve said so far, let me explain. Jesus, the master of everything ever, said that the most important thing that we can do (other than loving God) is to love our neighbors as ourselves. Now imagine how much you love yourself, seriously. I’m pretty sure that the greater majority of us would do most anything to ensure that we live comfortably and are happy. Now imagine what your reaction is when someone steals your seat; probably something along the lines of “JERK!” or “UGGHHHH!” or “wow, REALLY?” Basically, not good. Now if you yourself do not like it when other people take your seat, and we want to live according to God’s Word which commands us to love others how we ourselves would want to be loved, then my question for you is this: is this whole “seat check” business biblically sound? And every time we steal another’s seat, are we building them up in a positive way or are we simply tearing down friendships (in minute ways that we cannot see with our human eyes)? Basically, if what we do is not uplifting for others, should we really be doing it?
Therefore, I am challenging you today to reevaluate this whole “seat check” business. Does God really desire us to be stealing other people’s seats, causing disharmony (even if it’s minor and brief and quickly forgotten) between two or more persons? Does He really want us to be concerned over such a small matter as remembering to “check” your seat amidst trustworthy companions? Does He really want us to always be worried about our FRIENDS (not even strangers) taking advantage of our ignorance or forgetfulness? I do not believe that there is really any biblically sound way that you can fashion a “yes” to answer these questions. So, all I am asking is that you think and pray about this issue, reflecting on what Jesus would do in a seat-stealing situation. And, yes, how Jesus would respond in these situations…that is exactly how we are called to act. Thus, my hope and prayer is that our youth group can continually be challenged to be one that learns to love one another, in every single way. Not just the ways that are easy or simple for us, but through every single one of our actions, including such a small matter as “seat checks.” How can we, as a community, strive to love one another in such a tiny teeny part of life? Pray about it; think about ways that you can express Christ’s love for us through your actions in the coming day, week, or year. Maybe that means restraining yourself when you feel the urge to “blitz” someone’s seat the next time they leave it without calling “seat check.” Maybe that means offering your seat to someone else who you think needs it (or doesn’t need it) more than you do simply out of care and concern for the individual. I don’t know what God is trying to tell you right now but I believe that He desires to use us more and more each day to reflect His love for EVERYONE IN THE WORLD. Think and pray about how you can be a reflection of God’s love this week, especially during everyday events or situations that God is convicting you of.

Pray about it. And take action. Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment