Saturday, May 26, 2012

Listening - Jeremiah 8


Read Jeremiah 8

There have been so many times when I have disregarded someone’s suggestion, advice, or guidance and have had to feel the effects of the consequences of those actions. One time in middle school, it was when I shrugged off the words of my parents and brother. I had a group of new friends that I had just gotten to know, and I was spending increasingly more and more time with them. Soon enough, I was spending more time with them than I was with my family. Not only that, they were being a bad influence on my character and habits.

I can tell you that my family was not a big fan of that. So they continually told me that I should spend more time with them and that these friends of mine were being a bad influence on me. Back then, I thought I was too cool for them so of course I didn’t listen to them. Eventually, I shunned my family and did my own thing.

As a couple months passed, things started to go bad. The situation with my parents and friends began to worsen. I remember getting into a ton of verbal arguments with my mom and dad. Also, drama began to tear my group of friends apart. Basically, it was a miserable time in my life.

What does my personal story have to do with Jeremiah eight? In a nutshell, this chapter summarizes the situation that Israel is in. The Israelites have been unfaithful and unrepentant despite the Lord’s continual requests for them to repent. This chapter describes the sins that the people of Israel have committed and it also begins to show the grieving heart of Jeremiah for them. And because of their sin, they are being punished.

Re-read Jeremiah 8

When we see the sin and the unrepentant nature of Israel here, we want to tell them to follow the Lord because their stupidity will bring God’s judgment upon them. And even though we may not be Israelites or soon to be facing the judgment of God, we have to take the message found in the passage to heart.

The message is to listen. We must listen to what God is trying to say to us, whether directly through the working of the Holy Spirit, His Word, and prayer or indirectly through our pastors, leaders, and Christian friends. Sometimes we may be too calloused and blind to see the bright green GO sign or flashing red STOP sign. In the case of the Israelites, it was to listen to the message of repentance. For me, it was the message of respecting the decisions and guidance of my parents and brother. What is God trying to tell you, but you’re not taking the time to listen?

No comments:

Post a Comment