Thursday, March 18, 2010

Spirit Powah!

Have you ever tried to say something but it came out in a different language, and then someone says, “Hey, I didn’t know you spoke Swahili”? Have you ever gone into a daze and saw something that would actually come true a few years later? Well, if you said yes to the first one, you may have the gift of tongues. If you said yes to the second one, then you may have the gift of prophecy. If you said yes to both, then God may have some great things in store for you. So then, what do the gifts mean for us? Well, it’s more of a commentary on our individual skills in building community. But I’m getting ahead of myself; let’s start by reading the passage on the gifts!

Read 1 Corinthians 14:1-25

Right now you’re probably thinking that all this is cool, but that it may not have much application with us. Well, I think that this passage extends to more than just the utilization of the gifts of the spirit, but how we use our skills too. Think about your gifts; are you good at music? Are you really good at talking? Are you friendly? Well, then these gifts should be used to bring the good news to everyone! This passage tells us that they should be used wisely, that at times it is more beneficial to have a certain skill more than another one. Therefore, a church should have a balance of gifts, as to bring the most people to God!
What do you feel are your gifts that God has given you?


Now, reflect on these gifts, and think of ways that you may use them.

Devotional Prayer
Dear God, I want to thank you for the gifts that you have given me, and I pray that you may use me to contribute to your kingdom. Give me the courage to use these gifts, and light in me the desire to use them. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Thursday: Pray for the church (small c)
Pray for the divisions among our church: Whether it’s within individual congregations or the church as a whole

No comments:

Post a Comment