Friday, March 12, 2010

Respect for God

Read 1 Corinthians 11:1-16

Alright, so this passage is pretty hard to understand. What’s all this about head coverings and worshipping God? And why is it so dishonoring to God? Well, honestly I wish I could give a good answer but I can’t. Well... let’s think about the way we dress and honoring God as today’s parallel to head coverings.

Many of us use clothes to express ourselves. It shows what kind of person we are, our personality, and our level of comfort. I know that on Sundays I don’t always dress up. In fact if I don’t dress up, I dress down. Sweat pants, Hoodie, clean shoes. That’s also what I wear to school. What’s the big deal?

Recently I was reading up on Moody’s dress code. The only thing I saw that pertained to me was NO SWEATPANTS in the classroom setting. Now I’m going like WHAAAT!? The most comfortable pants on earth other than PJs can’t be worn in class!? OK I know I’m freaking out, but I figured there was reason behind all this madness. As you know, Moody prepares people for ministry. And thus, there must be a respect for God. Our dress should reflect that.

I know that we should “come as we are” when going into the presence of God because he accepts who we are and all our weaknesses. But we must recognize the holiness and sovereignty of God. On top of that, our respect for God turns into respect for our brothers and sisters. The things we wear should not be too revealing, too trashy, or too flashy because it then distracts our brothers and sisters from worshipping God.

Also keep in mind this verse...

Am I now trying to win the approval of men, or of God? Or am i trying to please men? If I were still trying to please men, I would not be a servant of Christ.

This is a practical way of living that should not only be on Sunday mornings, but also throughout the week.

Note:

Guys, KEEP YA PANTS UP!

Girls, respect yourselves as well as your brothers in Christ by not being a stumbling block.


Friday: Pray for the Church (Big C)
Pray that we are constantly reminded of what we are to be like as the children of God. A Holy, Generous, Spirit-filled, Strong, and Humble people!

No comments:

Post a Comment