Wednesday, January 27, 2010

On MY Spiritual Life.

Read: 2 Peter 2 and 2 Peter 3:1

2 Peter 2 is about what false teachers are like, and what they’ll get in time. But why did Peter write this? Here, we look at 2 Peter 3:1 - Peter did this as part of a goal to show us how to thinking wholesomely. In a way, 2 Peter 2 is a negative example of that: how not to think. Now, false teachers are everywhere and we shouldn’t be surprised when some heresy pops up surrounding them. But exposing heresies is important so that we can be prepared to deal with them.

So what heresies should we be on the lookout for in 2010, and even beyond? There are many, to be sure, but I think almost all of them can be boiled down to one word: individualism. For those of you who don’t know, individualism is all about me, myself, and -- yes you got it -- moi. It’s about my stuff, my things and, oh yes, my spiritual life. You see already how it’s so easy for such a heresy to seep into the church secretly. Let me dwell on the last point, spiritual life, because we don’t see it as a problem when, really, it is a big problem.

Don’t you know, my dear friends, that your spiritual life is my spiritual life too? Let’s think: we’re the body of Christ right? Suppose I stubbed my toe, like last week because of Jeff’s stupid cat. Does my mouth and hand think, “oh, who cares?” No! My mouth responds by yelling, “MEMPO!!!!!”, and my hands respond by grabbing the nearest stick to hit the cat with, and my legs respond by quickly hobbling towards the cat so I can hit it silly. I epically failed with the hitting, so all you animal-lovers, don’t send me hate mail.

Likewise, when your spiritual life is poor, my spiritual life is adversely impacted as well. That’s why we in the Youth Group want you to share your spiritual highs and struggles. We all respond in joy and happiness when Steven Han was baptized at the waterfall a year ago and when Jeff Huang was baptized at... the WCAC “waterfall”, and react similarly when God blessed Rev. Ben and Annie with Emmaus last week!

But what about when we fall? What about when we sin? Should we not share those as well? Oh, but Henry, that’s my business. It’s something just between Jesus and me.
NO. If my brothers make a mistake in life, is it just their business? No, it’s mine too. If I make a mistake in life, does my mom think it’s just my business? No, it’s hers too. If my brothers and sisters in Christ make a mistake in life, is it just their businesses and their families’ businesses? No, no, no! Your spiritual life is of my concern, just as my spiritual life is of your concern as well. Steven Han and Jeff Huang, when they were baptized, signed themselves up to care for everybody, include their spiritual lives. And we committed ourselves (by virtue of our baptism) to care for their spiritual lives at the same time. I go further!
Don’t you know that Emmaus’ spiritual life is not just the concern of Rev. Ben and Annie, but ours as well? And the day Emmaus is old enough to understand what it means to be a Christian, our spiritual lives are of his interests as well?
That’s why individualism is so damaging to the church! A few years ago, Seung Hui Cho conducted the worst school shooting in US history at Virginia Tech. He was a quiet person at church, and nobody bothered to inquire about his spiritual life. So when he killed 17 people that fateful morning, everybody including his youth pastor was surprised. How is that possible? Because people thought that Cho’s business is his and his family’s, not theirs. I doubt something close to this is happening at WCAC, but the point is that we can’t afford not to care about others!

APPLICATION:
I think Priscilla and Ariel are doing something regarding prayer partners, so perhaps we should take advantage of that to do something. Think about sharing your sins with your prayer partner. Yes, I know, maybe in the sharing your partner will know you’re not as squeaky-clean as everyone thinks. Yes, I know, maybe in the sharing you’re digging into some part of life you don’t want to revisit. Yes, I know, maybe in the sharing your family name is not as holy and perfect as it was. But you realize that in holding back, you prevent others from having a better spiritual life, because your spiritual life is not just yours.
So plan to meet somewhere this weekend, or somewhere after school. Don’t do it during finals week, no, but do it when you have a huge block of time available. Meet somewhere, maybe at the library on 95th street, or at church. If your schedules don’t coincide, share via email, although I really don’t suggest this, ‘cause email is so impersonal compared to sharing face to face. If you don’t have a prayer partner, talk or email a Doulos leader.

Note: I assume all of you are mature enough not to gossip and share your prayer partners’ sins with everyone else without their permission. However, if anything regarding abuse or suicide is brought up, you are required (by law) to bring it to Rev. Ben or Jon Mann’s attention, privately of course.


Wednesday: Pray for friends (inside and outside church)
Pray that your friends will lift up their struggles to God. That they know that He loves them

1 comment:

  1. The American culture was fashioned almost 400 years ago when a small band of pilgrims settled in New England and each had no other choice but to do their own thing, watching out for not only their interests, but that of their families and close community. They formed local government close, within a day's horseback ride, as the county. They elected people to make proper laws, enforce them, judge and punish lawbreakers. They held town hall meetings to reshape it when needed, and even vigilantes if government became abusive. The Tea Party movement is just an extension of that. Obama wants to change America from that culture, saying community interests are more important than are individual interests, yet individual self-interest and pebble-dropping was what made America great and prosperous. See Save Pebble Droppers & Prosperity on calysamerica.com

    ReplyDelete