Friday, December 11, 2009

Day 5 – Paul Opposes Peter

Spend time reading and marking up Galatians 2:11-21

11When Peter came to Antioch, I opposed him to his face, because he was clearly in the wrong. 12Before certain men came from James, he used to eat with the Gentiles. But when they arrived, he began to draw back and separate himself from the Gentiles because he was afraid of those who belonged to the circumcision group. 13The other Jews joined him in his hypocrisy, so that by their hypocrisy even Barnabas was led astray.
14When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?
15"We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' 16know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.
17"If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! 18If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. 19For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Questions:
What are some key observations about what Paul convictions against Peter?

How can we look towards our own heart and attitudes through this passage?

Things to reflect on:
Peter was finding pressure from people. He knew God and Christ and the things that he was suppose to share. However, he couldn’t back down from the people in high positions in the Jewish traditions. Paul was a brother that knew that he couldn’t just sit back and let him fall into this trap. He called him out on it. Too often we don’t want to be confrontational and we lack the ability to rebuke one another. Paul did it with the desire to love and love those that Peter was hurting and to correct those (Jews) that need to correct their thinking. Pray that we are able to rebuke, but with the right motives. Spend some time in prayer

Friday: Pray for the Church (Big C)
Pray that we are constantly reminded of what we are to be like as the children of God. A Holy, Generous, Spirit-filled, Strong, and Humble people!

No comments:

Post a Comment