Monday, May 24, 2010

Sing to Him a New Song

Psalm 33

Whenever I’m asked the question, “have you done your devos today?” my immediate response is to think, have I read my bible this morning. And its true, reading my Bible is an opportunity to get to know the Living God, the creator of the universe. But quiet times, devotionals is so much more than just reading verses on a page. Or critically analyzing the literary structure of a particular book. The real question is, “have you spent time with Jesus today?” And not just 30 minutes of my already packed schedule, but “have you spent your day with Jesus?”

Spending time in intimacy with God isn’t restricted to just reading a chapter or verse. We can speak with God in a conversation, engage him in a song, wait on him in stillness, read from His living word.

Read Psalm 33 (Not to critically analyze the passage, but just try and imagine the Psalmists’ emotions as you’re reading)

The Psalmist starts off by saying, “Shout for joy in the LORD…Give thanks to the Lord…make melody to him…Sing to him a new song.” The following verses from Psalm 33:4-22 is the Psalmists song of praise for all the things that God has done. It’s a song of praise about his character (4-5) It’s a song of praise for his works (6-7) It’s a song of praise for his power (8-9) It’s a song of praise for his dominion (10-12) It’s a song of praise for his compassion and care for his people (13-17) It’s a song of praise for his salvation (18-22)

Sometimes, maybe what we need to do in our time with God is to do what the Psalmist is encouraging the people to do. Sing Him a song. God created us to bring Him praise. Throughout the Old & New Testament we’re given the ability and task of singing songs of praise and adoration to God.

Spend sometime this morning singing songs of praise to God. As you sing, reflect on the words, make the song your prayer or your declaration. Just sit in the silence and let your heart and mouth respond in worship. Even as I’m writing this God is putting a song on my heart to sing to Him. I hope that you allow Him to do that in you. This is my love song to Jesus today.

“My Jesus, I love Thee, I know Thou art mine
For Thee all the follies of sin I resign
My gracious Redeemer, my Savior art Thou,
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ‘tis now
I love Thee, because Thou hast first loved me,
And purchased my pardon on Calvary’s tree
I love Thee for wearing the thorns on Thy brow
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ‘tis now
I’ll love Thee in life, I will love Thee in death
And praise Thee as long as Thou lendest me breath
And say when the death dew lies cold on my brow,
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ‘tis now
In mansions of glory and endless delight
I’ll ever adore Thee in heaven so bright
I’ll sing with the glittering crown on my brow,
If ever I loved Thee, my Jesus, ‘tis now.”

No comments:

Post a Comment