Friday, May 28, 2010

Christianity is the scandal that is Jesus

Christianity, my friends, is the scandal that is Jesus. We need to remember that this same Jesus was the one who had the temerity to publicly say, in front of his mom’s face, “Who is my mother?” and declare that “Whoever does the will of God is my mother, brother, and sister.” (Mark 3: 31-35). Even more insane is his declaration: “If anyone comes to me and does not hate his father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters – yes, even his own life – he cannot be my disciple.” (Luke 14: 26). Is this the Jesus you’ve been waiting for when you sing that song, “This is the One we’ve been waiting for: Jesus, Lord and Savior, this is our God.” Jesus, himself, remained single for the rest of his life – and keep in mind that in those days, it is normal for every young guy to be married, especially by Jesus’ age.

Let me make it even more uncomfortable for you. This is the same God that could, after you worked your tail off all through high school, make sure that the best university you’ll get into is the University of Wyoming. This is the same God that will one day take your mother and (as it was in my, Sally, and Mia’s cases) your father from you. This is the same God that will send you to Singapore even though He knew you’d hate it. I have a friend who was called to (unnamed country) and she confessed that even though she knew it was God’s will for her to be there, she hated it, and is having a hard time saying, “God is good to me.”

But the truth of the matter, my friends, is that God is good to us, but sometimes that good requires sacrifice. Thus, sometimes we need to deny things. The closer I get to the day seminary begins, I’ve been beset with questions. Is this a good idea? God, maybe I should stay in Singapore – at least I’ll make much more money. God, maybe I should stay – my mom and grandparents would be much happier. But the more I thought, the more I realized that if I stayed, I may end up with lots of money, and my family will be together, but I would’ve given up God in the process. And, unfortunately, sometimes you will be faced with such a choice in life. Maybe you might be called to choose between life or Jesus.

And that’s why Jesus tells his disciples in Matthew 16: 24 that his followers are to deny themselves and take up their cross. That is what Christianity is about, because nobody takes up his or her cross unless Jesus is first in their lives. Is Jesus so important to you that you will lay aside anything and everything in His name and take up your cross and follow him? Maybe following God requires you to accept that B instead of arguing with your teacher for why you deserve an A. Maybe following God requires you to break the hearts of many people. Maybe following God requires you to be single the rest of your life. Is Jesus that important to you?

And that is my prayer for all of you, especially the seniors, that Jesus will always remain that important to you. May you always follow in the steps of Jesus, who for our sake carried the cross and allowed himself to be nailed to it, that we may be saved. For it is that same Jesus, Lord and Savior, who is our God yesterday, today, and forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment