Thursday, May 13, 2010

The false teachers sought to endear themselves to their listeners

Paul was seeking to endear his listeners to Christ. Paul sought to reconcile them to God through Christ. He wanted the Corinthians to see God reconciling the world to himself through the message of the gospel.

False teachers emphasized their strengths endeavoring to persuade their listeners to place their faith in their teachers. Paul emphasized his weakness to persuade the Corinthians to place their faith in Christ. Paul's emphasis was on the power of the risen Christ to overcome his weakness.

2 Corinthians 12:1-6

I must go on boasting. Although there is nothing to be gained, I will go on to visions and revelations from the Lord. I know a man in Christ who fourteen years ago was caught up to the third heaven. Whether it was in the body or out of the body I do not know-God knows. And I know that this man-whether in the body or apart from the body I do not know, but God knows- was caught up to paradise. He heard inexpressible things, things that man is not permitted to tell. I will boast about a man like that, but I will not boast about myself, except about my weaknesses. Even if I should choose to boast, I would not be a fool, because I would be speaking the truth. But I refrain, so no one will think more of me than is warranted by what I do or say. (NIV)

False teachers sought to rationalize their sins in an effort to live in sin. Paul faced his sin squarely through the grace of God. Paul rejoiced in his weaknesses.
How do you face sin? Do you face it as Paul did squarely through the grace of God?
Take some time to rejoice in the things God is doing in your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment