Friday, October 29, 2010

God Reminds Us

Read Genesis 26

All of us need to be reminded of things sometimes. Whether it be what youth group events are coming up this week; what we ate for breakfast; or where we left our textbook, cell-phone, or brain, all of us forget and need to be told again of what has already been said or done. I think that the best reminder that I’ve ever gotten is whenever I am reminded by God that He loves me. What stood out for me in this passage is the fact that God reminds Isaac of His faithfulness. Abraham has just passed away and a lot of God’s promises to him are not fulfilled in his lifetime; thus, it is totally understandable and probably true that Isaac was a little worried about God’s fulfillment of his promises. So, immediately following Abraham’s death, as Isaac considers going down to Egypt, as Abraham did, to escape a famine, God reminds him: “Do not go down to Egypt; dwell in the land of which is shall tell you. Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father. I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws.” (Those are some pretty legit promises) Furthermore, God not only reminds Isaac once, but twice. Now that’s when you know that someone is serious about something: when they say it twice. And when we know that the almighty God is serious about multiplying our offspring like stars (that’s a lot of kids) and blessing ALL the nations of the earth BECAUSE OF your kids (that sounds awesome), that’s a pretty cool thought.

So how is God reminding you of His promises today? Do you know what He has promised you? If not, check out some of these passages (keeping in mind that this does not mean that your life will just be poops and giggles):
Jeremiah 29:11
John 16:23-24
James 5:16
Job 22:27
John 14:13-14
Matthew 6:6
How can you be encouraged by His promises for you? Have you been drifting away from His promises by sinning or even unintentionally drifting away from Him? I know that it’s really easy to drift away from God’s promises for us and try to find our worth and happiness in the things of this earth. But I encourage you to reflect on how you can find hope and joy in God’s promises for you. And pray. Because as the aforementioned passages show—God always listens.

No comments:

Post a Comment