Monday, November 16, 2009

Standing Accused

Have you ever been accused of doing something you didn’t do? How did you respond? I think our natural response to a false accusation is anger or indignation. We don’t like to be accused of wrong doing, especially when we’re innocent. Often in my own life, when I’ve been place in situations like this, my response is anger or I become defensive. In the end, regardless of whether the accusation was right or wrong, my response wasn’t right either. In our passage for today, the Apostle Paul stands trial having been accused of something he had not done.

Read Acts 24

Paul stood falsely accused of stirring up riots among the Jews and trying to profane the temple. Never mind that it was his accusers that stirred up the riots in order to try and hurt Paul and his ministry. But how did Paul respond in the face of these accusations?

“I cheerfully make my defense.” (Acts 24:10) Paul knew the accusations made against him were wildly incorrect. But instead of responding out of bitterness or anger, Paul cheerfully made his defense. He did it with an attitude of joy, knowing that what he suffered was for the sake of the Gospel. When our desire is to respond our of bitterness, we ought to remember how Paul handled his accusers.

“But this I confess to you…I worship the God of our fathers, believing everything laid down by the Law and written in the Prophets.” (Acts 24:14) I love how Paul, no matter his circumstance has Jesus coming out of his mouth. It’s just a part of who he is. When Paul speaks, the world hears about God. What an opportunity to show people the God we serve, to speak of His glory and honor, and to demonstrate how we’ve given our lives to Him even in the midst of being falsely accused. I don’t necessarily mean talking about God all the time, but do our actions reflect Who we belong to?

Spend some time asking God to give you the strength to stand for His glory and purpose. Even in the face of false accusation, our prayer should be that God would shine through in our lives.

PRAYER CALENDAR
Monday: Pray for your relationship with God
Lift up your complaints to God. Know that he hears them and cares for you

No comments:

Post a Comment