Thursday, November 12, 2009

I’m Gonna Start a Fight (For Jesus)

I remember when I was in Beijing China, after a breakdancing class that went late, I was eating in this Mongolian grill and bar, and the mother of bar fights broke out when these two blokes over at the counter disputed ownership of a drink. One thing led to another, and like a comedy movie gone wrong, mayhem broke out. Bottles were smashed, tables overturned, men screaming at each other, women running, children crying, tables overturned, fists flying. I remember being horrified by the violence (and the language) that ensued, paying the bill, and offering a quick prayer while dodging bodies and flying objects. I remember thinking as the police rushed by me into the diner, “All this over a single drink?”

Now you might be thinking, “Steven, what does this have to do with anything?!!” Well, let us look at

ACTS 22:30 – 23:11.

When two sides have opinions and views that clash, sometimes it gets really intense! Not to mention what happens when two opposing beliefs come head to head. Wars have been fought over these kinds of disputes, millions of people killed in the name of a god. Now imagine what went down inside the Sanhedrin that day when Paul knowingly brought up the controversy of the resurrection. Basically, Paul rattled the cages for God, to testify in the face of overwhelming hostility. Paul put his well-being on the line in order to bring the good news; he started a fight for God! That is courage like none other. God later told him, “Take courage! As you have testified about me in Jerusalem, so you must also testify in Rome.” Paul’s job isn’t over. The brawl in the Sanhedrin will be a sibling tussle compared to what lay ahead of him. I’m pretty sure Paul was daunted by the prospect. If violence ensued in a small Jerusalem courtroom, what would happen in the New York City of Europe that is Rome? Would you be willing to continue? Would you be discouraged? I would be a little bit intimidated and disheartened, that’s for sure. But take faith in the Lord! He has our backs, and no courtroom showdown will daunt Him, so it shouldn’t scare us either. I ask you this: would you be willing to start a fight for Jesus? Would you fight the odds? Not that I’m saying for you to go tie two Bibles together and go nunchuck some evil Non-Christians. I’m simply challenging you to spread God’s word even in uncomfortable and hostile situations. Personally, I have trouble with this because when my temper flares, things tend to get ugly. I hope that I can be like Paul, calm and composed, but burning with passion for God on the inside. I also hope that I can place myself in uncomfortable situations for Him like Paul does. Forget those superheroes who throw themselves into danger for justice; Paul throws himself at entire cities in the name of God. That’s really worth commending.



PRAYER CALENDAR
Thursday: Pray for the church (small c)
Pray for our church’s expansion project; that God will lead us in the right direction

No comments:

Post a Comment