Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Two-Way Call

Today is “Steven’s Special Devo Day” where I get to write about anything I want, which I think is pretty cool. Therefore, I want to take the time today to talk about something that I find is critical in our walks with God, but is often overlooked; I want to stress the importance of listening to God in prayer. Often times, we pray in a monologue and then move on, and for me praying became just a task off the to-do list. We should really strive to converse with God, so that our experience with Him is so much more intimate. Imagine this. You call your mom, and you say, “Dear ma, my best friend wronged me today, and I don’t know what to do. How should I go about this? Should I forgive him?” Then “CLICK” you hang up. That’s pretty absurd right? Well when we pray, most of the time we don’t give God a chance to respond. Trust me, He has a lot to say to you whether it’s advice or a simple, “I love you”. Going back to the scenario, the next logical thing your mother would do is call you back right? But do you answer it? Before I started listening, I would ignore the call. Sometimes, however, I pick up and God would say, “Boy did you just hang up on me?” and I’d be like, “IDK did it sound anything like this? CLICK.” This means that I would open myself up to God and then do the exact opposite of what he wants me to do, like fall to temptation or choose to not forgive that friend. Thus, when we pray, it is important that we listen to the voice of God.

John 10:27
“My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”

You’re probably wondering, “Steve, how do I know I’m hearing God and not showing the first symptoms of insanity?” well first, I want to point out that God does not necessarily speak audibly listening to Him means to open yourself to Him and still your heart. I guarantee you that after a bit He will reveal Himself to you. For example, once I prayed to Him to guide me on the ACT’s because I was so nervous, and after praying and listening for a while an overwhelming sense of ease and relaxation overcame me. Basically, God told me to relax and stop fretting, to let go of my anxiety. He didn’t set my couch on fire and talk to me burning-bush style (although that would be pretty cool). So, when you pray, after you say Amen, listen for a bit. Hear His voice in whatever form it takes. Be still and know that the God who created you and loves you has something important to say to you. When you first hear that voice calling back, trust me, it’s addictive. Go ahead, get high on the Holy Spirit.

1 comment:

  1. A big emphasis on the fact that this takes TIME. All the more important, then, for all of us to set aside some time to just be silent and reflect.

    ReplyDelete