Friday, July 2, 2010

Romans 6 and another Stream of Conciousness

A question we should be asking ourselves is, “why should we willingly surrender our lives to God?” Or to put it another way, “why should we be Christian?” But to surrender all that we are to God would mean that we are nothing and that our lives belong to God. So why should we do it?

Well just think about it, God sent His only Son to die on the cross. (If that ain’t love then I don’t know what love is!) And top of that, Jesus defeated death by resurrecting in 3 days! This means we can have eternal life. So Jesus came from heaven, just to live with us, be an example for us, and to be the perfect sacrifice for us. First question a normal person would ask would be, “why?” And for all those Sunday School-ers, this may be easy to answer. But we also have to think about our answers in all seriousness. Because it is not logical in a worldly sense that any man would sacrifice his son to save the world. God was not obliged to send His Son, forced to send His Son, or whatever. But He did it anyways. This just shows the unfathomable love that God has for us. And it’s amazing! If you believe in Jesus who is the Way, the Truth, and the Light, then you have eternal life!
So it’s as simple as that? I just believe that this Jesus guy died for my all the bad stuff in my life and I have eternal life? I’m going to say, “Yes, but…” Ok, what is the catch? I have a quick short tangent that relates to this. So my friend has this screen name called LiveforHim. And sometimes people would always ask him why he has this screen name and he always replies the same way, “Since Jesus died for me (as well as the rest of us), I’m going to live my life for Him.” And that should be all our responses as well. We can’t just accept His gift and just live life just as we did before. We can’t say that we believe in Jesus and keep doing the bad stuff that we’ve been doing before we believed in Him.

Read Romans 6:1-14. This gets to our point about surrendering our lives to God.

Read Romans 6:15-20. By the way, I think Paul puts it better than me. I’m just saying.

So what have we gotten ourselves into? Well, I never said being a Christian was going to be easy. In fact, by surrendering our lives to God, we are to subject to even more suffering. Examples can be people that are going to make fun of you because you’re a Christian and/or the temptation to sin grows even stronger. But hey, what is this compared all the joy you will have in Christ. Well looking at super long term, you have eternal life. But let’s look at the awesomeness that can potentially happen right now or in the near future. Well, for starters you are encouraged by Christians around you. They are there to encourage you, to grow you, to challenge you, and to fellowship with you. Another thing is that the Holy Spirit will begin dwell within you. This is God’s presence within you. Sort of like your conscience. The Spirit is there to empower you to do great things for God, guide you along the paths that God wants you to take, and challenge you to strive for holiness.

So I guess I just went over a little about what a Christian is and what Christians believe in. And also I went over that being a Christian is serious business, but the joy that we have in Him is just so much better. So I pray that God speaks to you through this. And I know there are a lot of holes and jumps and whatever. So if you want clarification or something, just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment